Things to do in Somerset
Somerset, also known as the ‘Land of the Summer People’, is situated in the South West of England amongst rural countryside, coastal beaches, a national park and numerous areas of outstanding natural beauty. Nestled amongst Somerset’s rolling hills and the Somerset Levels are picturesque chocolate-box villages, small market towns, old age pubs and modern day tourist attractions. There are many things to do in Somerset for every age, which makes Lakeview’s self-catering holiday cottages your ideal holiday destination!
Somerset’s famous countryside is a blanket of miles upon miles of fields, rolling hills, windy cliff tops, cider orchards and endless flatlands. Making it a haven to any walker, hiker or cyclist whether they’re an amateur or a pro.
There are plenty of walks near our self-catering accommodation in Somerset including four Areas of Outstanding National Beauty and a National Park, which are the main places to visit in Somerset for any nature lovers!
Any keen wildlife watcher should head to Glastonbury Tor as it overlooks the Levels and Moors approximately 30 minutes’ drive away. On the way back, we suggest you drop into Street and go shopping at the famous Clarkes Village.
A visit to the natural Cheddar Gorge will educate you in the history of cheddar cheese; you may even get to sample some! Wookey Hole Caves should be the first thing on your list of attractions in Somerset where a land of mysterious, spectacular caves awaits you; look out for the Extravagant Light Show to see the caves in all their glory.
The Somerset Coastline
Like many of Britain’s fantastic coastlines Somerset’s has plenty on offer for all ages and is a perfect favourite family day out in Somerset. With an array of traditional seaside resorts, pretty harbours, quaint towns and contemporary marinas you will be spoilt for choice.
Lyme Regis on the South Coast is approximately 40 minutes’ drive and a scenic journey! We suggest you drive along to Westbay, or even Sidmouth, Seaton or Beer, all of which are beautiful coastlines and very close to Lakeview Holiday Cottages.
Many of our guests enjoy the North Coast where you will find Weston Supermare and its newly built Pier, or even Burnham on Sea, both only 20 minutes’ drive away from Lakeview Holiday Cottages. The kids will also love the theme park in Minehead, just 40 minutes’ drive from our self-catering accommodation in Somerset.
There are plenty of fishing opportunities on our private lake and on the Somerset canals too!
Attractions in Somerset and Nearby
You’ll be spoilt for choice when you arrive – and wish you had booked an extra night or two! One of the reasons our guests keep coming back to our self-catering accommodation in Somerset is because of the list of attractions in Somerset and nearby. These include:
- Brean Down Fort – The restored Napoleonic Fort is situated at the western end of Brean Down. The Down provides breath-taking views of Weston super Mare, Brean beach and the Welsh coastline.
- Brent Knoll – Stands as an outcrop on the Mendip Hills and is 449 feet tall and those that walk up it are rewarded with superb views including Glastonbury Tor, Cheddar Gorge and the Quantock Hills.
- Stert Island – Visit the nature haven of Stert Island opposite Burnham. To get there, drive down to Bridgwater and then out in the direction of Minehead. Well worth a trip.
- Brean Down Bird Garden – A collection of tropical birds. Tel 01278 751209.
- Brean Leisure Park – Fun park with 40 rides and attractions with something for all the family. Rides, fun pool, fun slides, bars, restaurant, shops, good parking and golf course. Open April to November Tel 01278 751595
- Animal Farm Country Park – An adventure farm park with expansive indoor soft play area. slides, ball pools and rare animals.
- Weston Super Mare – Shopping Mall, nightlife, The Grand Pier, Aquarium, restaurants, bars.
- Glastonbury Tor – Climb the historic Glastonbury Tor and learn all about its fascinating past then visit nearby Wells – a Cathedral city steeped in history.
- Cheddar – Home of the world famous cheese, spectacular caves and gorge. Also visit Cheddar sweet factory.
- Clarks Outlet Village – Famous names outlet shopping centre.
- Wookey Hole – Show caves that were once inhabited by ancient man. Also try your hand at papermaking.
- Sanders Garden World – Award winning garden centre with child’s play area, restaurant and regular free events with a garden theme.
Check availability online today or call us direct on 01278 661 584 to book your perfect countryside break at Lakeview Holiday Cottages in Somerset